White's focus is a kingside attack formulated
around the following ideas:
* Moving the bishop on e3 to h6, where it can
capture the bishop on g7. If Black's bishop
takes on h6, White's Queen can recapture, and,
subsequently work with the h1 rook to attack
the h-file, once that file is opened up.
* Playing h2-h4-h5 so as to tempt ... Nf6xh5.
Thus, White opens up the h-file and enables
g2-g4 with gain of time. If Black doesn't play
... Nf6xh5, White can always play a timely
h5xg6, and still get the use of an open h-file.
Additionally, if White's bishop is still on the
a2-g8 diagonal, where it pins the f7 pawn to the
King, Black is forced to respond to h5xg6 with
... h7xg6. Thereafter, g6 is open to attack.
* Moving the c3 knight to d5, where it will take
the knight on f6, thus eliminating a key
defender of h7.
Once the h-file is opened up by the h2-h4-h5
maneuver, and the g7 bishop and f6 knight are
eliminated by Be3-h6-Bxg7 and Nc3-d5-Nxf6,
White threatens to bring his Queen to h6 and
mate Black on the h7 or h8 square.
If Black impedes the above strategy by ... h5,
White can always try to play for a timely e4-e5
Black needs to mount a queenside attack by:
* Playing ... Nc6 and ... Bd7.
* Posting the c6 knight on c4 via ... Nc6-e5-c4.
* Taking control of the half open c-file by
playing ... Rac8 or ... Rfc8. Rfc8 is usually
preferable because it allows the g7 bishop to
withdraw to h8, after White plays Be3-h6. Also,
a rook on c8 facilitates ... Nc6-e5-c4 because
it prevents an unchallenged Bxc4.
* Developing the Queen to a5 or c7. From a5 the
Queen eyes a2 and c3 and from c7 it adds to the
build up of pressure along the half open c-file.
* Advancing ... a7-a6-a5-a4 and ... b7-b5-b4 in
order to augment the g7 bishop.
* Black also needs to push ... h7-h5 in response
to h4. The idea is to slow down White's attack.
* In some instances, Black can exchange the
rook on c8 for the knight on c3 in an
effort to undermine White's pawn center.
After the exchange sacrifice, Black has
... Nf6xe4, attacking the c3 pawn and the
Queen on d2.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE SICILIAN DRAGON